Famous Book Publicist and Publisher Tells you How to Write Your Book, Get it Published and How to Market It
Working with many of the top book editors, literary agents and publishers in America, including Simon and Schuster, Random House, Wiley, Harper Collins, Pocket Books, Penguin Putnam, and Hyperion Books, he has worked with best-selling authors including:
Mitch Albom, Bill Moyers, Stephen King, Caroline Kennedy, Howard Stern, President Jimmy Carter, Mark Victor Hansen, Nelson DeMille, John Grisham, Hugh Downs, Henry Kissinger, Jack Canfield, Alan Deshowitz, Arnold Palmer, and Harvey Mackay.
Rick is Publisher at Morgan James Publishing in New York. David Hancock founded Morgan James in 2003 and in 2008 “MJ” published over 150 books. Morgan James only publishes non fiction books and looks for authors with a platform who believe in giving back. Morgan James gives a portion of every book sold to Habitat for Humanity.
Rick has also appeared on hundreds of radio shows and more than a dozen TV shows nationwide including OPRAH and Bloomberg TV. He has also been featured in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Associated Press, Selling Power Magazine, New York Post and scores of publications.
He is the co-author of ten books, including national best-sellers GUERRILLA PUBLICITY and NETWORKING MAGIC. Along with media personality Robyn Freedman Spizman, Rick also co-wrote the popular four-book series AUTHOR 101™ and recently they teamed up for their highly acclaimed book entitled WHERE’S YOUR WOW? 16 Ways To Make Your Competitors Wish They Were You! (McGraw Hill, March, 2008).
Rick’s 10th book “Guerrilla Publicity” 2nd edition was published in October 2008.( Adams Media) He is the co-host (with attorney Richard Solomon) of the radio show Taking Care of Business, which airs every Thursday from 2:00-3:00 pm on WCWP-Radio in Long Island, New York. Rick has a B.F.A. in acting and directing and a B.S. from Ithaca College School of Communications and is a sought after lecturer on publishing and public relations and a member of PRSA and the National Speakers Association.
Rick and his wife Robbi live in Long Island with their three children, Adam, Rachel and Stephanie, and two Havanese puppies named Cody and Cooper. Go to www.rickfrishman.com for more information and to get Rick’s “Million Dollar Rolodex.”
JW Najarian and Bob Schecter got to talk with Rick about:
- Why publicity is 100 times better than advertising.
- Working with a PR firm for maximum effectiveness if that’s the route you choose to go.
- How to become an author in 5 easy steps and in less than 90 days.
- Real life stories about the “legends” in the business and what you can learn from them.
- What does a publicity department do for you at a publishing firm and what that means for you.
- How to get published in the traditional manner and not get taken advantage of.
- How agents work, what they do and why you need to get them on your side.
- Understanding the pluses and minuses of radio, TV and other media sources.
- How to create a press kit that will get you noticed and get you coverage.
- Maximize your effectiveness when you’re in front of the media to increase your chances for success.